Score: North Dakota State 3 – Oral Roberts 2
Records: NDSU (8-12, 4-4 SL) – ORU (6-16, 2-6 SL)
Location: Aerobics Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team thought it put away North Dakota State in the fourth set, but a late net violation reversed its fate Sunday afternoon inside the Aerobics Center eventually suffering a heart-wrenching loss in five sets (18-25, 25-15, 25-18, 26-28, 10-15).
Leading 24-23 in the frame, the Golden Eagles appeared to have blocked a Bison attack and celebrated on the court, only to have the call made awarding NDSU the point. ORU was forced to fight off a pair of set points against, but could not stop the Bison on their third chance falling, 28-26, pushing the action into a fifth set.
ORU was unable to hold off NDSU in the finale as the visitors built an early 6-1 edge before closing the decision.
A 9-1 run in the middle of set two gave the home side momentum, which it rode to a commanding, 25-15 set win evening the contest. The Golden Eagles carried that into a 2-1 lead by claiming the third set, 25-18, using a 9-0 stretch for a double-digit lead.
Inside the Box Score
- CeCe Madison put together a brilliant second set as the senior went off for seven kills on 11 swings without an error. She closed with a career-best 29 kills, the most by an ORU player since Laura Milos had 32 against South Dakota Nov. 18, 2017, hitting at a .275 clip. She completed the double-double performance adding 19 digs.
- Laura Shoopman paced the team with 27 digs setting a career high, while the freshman added 15 kills for the double-double.
- Sylvia Lawson ended with 51 set assists, reaching 50 or more for the second time this season.
- Inka Inkret posted at least 20 digs for the second-straight match as the sophomore finished the day with 20 as libero. Katarina Mikulic also tallied double-digit digs with 16.
- Sakira LaCour matched Madison with five block assists to lead ORU as the freshman registered a season best at the net.
- Victoria Mayes provided a spark off the bench for the Golden Eagles putting away her first five kills of the season setting a career high.
ORU begins the second half of The Summit League schedule closing its three-match home stand against conference unbeaten South Dakota Friday night at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.