Score: Oral Roberts 1 – South Dakota State 3
Records: ORU (6-20, 2-10 SL) – SDSU (6-18, 3-9 SL)
Location: Frost Arena (Brookings, S.D.)
BROOKINGS, S.D. – After falling behind by two sets, the Oral Roberts volleyball team mounted a comeback bid before falling in four sets on the road at South Dakota State (22-25, 21-25, 25-22, 21-25) Sunday afternoon inside Frost Arena.
A block from Inka Inkret and Bri Greenlee capped a 3-0 run in set one to give the Golden Eagles a 12-11 advantage, but the Jackrabbits responded by scoring an 8-3 run for a four-point cushion. ORU closed the gap down to two before falling in the opener, 25-22.
The Golden Eagles came out of the break and quickly scored the first five points only to have SDSU take control posting 12 of the next 15 points to take a 2-0 advantage.
It was the ORU defense that turned the momentum of set three forcing the Jacks into errors on its way to a 14-7 margin. The home side cut into the lead making it a one-point set, but a kill from Sylvia Lawson followed by a service ace from Inkret handed the Golden Eagles a 25-22 win to stay alive.
A tight battle in the fourth set where ORU stayed within striking distance the entire frame went the way of the Jackrabbits holding off the Golden Eagles rally.
Inside the Box Score
- CeCe Madison posted another double-double as the senior finished with a team-leading 15 kills and added 12 digs.
- Sylvia Lawson ended the afternoon with a 38-assist, 13-dig double-double for the Golden Eagles.
- Sarah Thiessen returned to the ORU lineup for the first time in nearly three weeks and led the defense recording 18 digs.
- Taylan Nero was efficient with her opportunities offensively putting away eight kills on just 15 swings. Inkret joined Nero tallying eight kills, while the sophomore had 16 digs.
- Greenlee and Victoria Mayes provided a boost at the net turning in four and three block assists, respectively.
The Golden Eagles return to the Aerobics Center Friday evening for a 5 p.m. start against Western Illinois as they will honor their four seniors before the match.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.