Score: Western Illinois 2 – Oral Roberts 3
Records: WIU (6-20, 3-10 SL) – ORU (7-20, 3-10 SL)
Location: Aerobics Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts volleyball team dominated the final frame claiming a critical, five-set thriller over Western Illinois (23-25, 25-23, 23-25, 25-23, 15-7) Friday at the Aerobics Center for Senior Night.
After recognizing their four seniors on the court, the battle began as both teams fought back-and-forth for every single point as the first four sets were all decided by scores of 25-23 and featured 31 tie scores and 13 lead changes. It proved to be the Golden Eagles senior class that provided the necessary spark as the four combined for 48 of the team's 59 total kills as each finished with at least eight.
ORU jumped out to a 5-1 lead as CeCe Madison put away two kills and Sylvia Lawson added two service aces. The Leathernecks responded to take a seven-point lead and closed a tight opening frame. The Golden Eagles trailed 21-18 in the second stanza, but used a 7-2 run to even the match, 1-1.
WIU turned the momentum scoring eight of the first nine points in set three before ORU was able to fight back and tie the frame, 16-16, only to have the visitors finish the frame. Set four turned out to be the wildest of the night as it had 13 ties and nine lead changes until the Golden Eagles were able to score back-to-back points on a Madison ace and Katarina Mikulic kill keeping the match alive.
With a pivotal match in the balance as it headed into a fifth set, ORU wasted no time in asserting itself jumping in front, 4-1. The Golden Eagles capitalized on a 5-0 run for a commanding 12-4 edge and finished off the rally on its home court.
Inside the Box Score
- Madison closed her Senior Night with a 21-kill, 17-dig double-double and added a match-leading four service aces. She was dominant over the final two sets putting down 11 kills on 22 swings.
- Bri Greenlee came up clutch for the Golden Eagles as the senior posted 10 kills without an error for a .417 hitting percentage and had a match-best five block assists.
- Mikulic put together her best night of the season as the senior was everywhere on the court offensively and defensively finishing with a season-high nine kills and 19 digs.
- Senior Taylan Nero hit at a .300 clip as the senior buried eight kills on 20 swings taking advantage of her chances at the net, while adding a career-best seven digs.
- Lawson ended by tallying a double-double recording 46-set assists and 11 digs.
- Sarah Thiessen led all players registering 24 digs, including eight in the fourth set alone, as the Golden Eagles held a 92-85 edge in digs.
ORU plays its final home match of the 2019 season Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. hosting the Mastodons of Purdue Fort Wayne inside the Aerobics Center.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.