Score: No. 6 Oral Roberts 1 – No. 3 Purdue Fort Wayne 3 (Summit League Quarterfinal)
Records: ORU (8-23) – PFW (18-13)
Location: Hamilton Gymnasium (Denver, Colo.)
DENVER, Colo. – The No. 6 seed Oral Roberts volleyball team got off to a hot start, but could not close out the upset of No. 3 seeded Purdue Fort Wayne falling in four sets (25-19, 21-25, 24-26, 16-25) in The Summit League Championship presented by U.S. Air Force Special Warfare Friday night at Hamilton Gymnasium on the campus of the University of Denver.
ORU hit at a .300 clip in the first set behind a balanced offense and had three players reach double-digit kills. The Golden Eagles had chances late in the contest only to have its 2019 season close in the quarterfinal round.
Back-to-back kills from CeCe Madison helped the Golden Eagles erase a three-point deficit on a 4-0 run as the senior buried two of her six kills in the set. ORU needed a late push and used its block to get the job done as Sakira LaCour paired with Sylvia Lawson and Katarina Mikulic for three blocks during a 5-0 stretch to take a 19-17 edge and won the frame, 25-19.
The Mastodons started quick in the second stanza for a 12-8 cushion, before the Golden Eagles stormed back to even the set, 18-18. Purdue Fort Wayne claimed the frame, 25-21, to tie the score at one set apiece.
A late rally in the third set came up just short after ORU went on a 4-0 run to get within one, 23-22, and got a service ace from Sarah Thiessen to make it a 24-24 tie. Purdue Fort Wayne scored consecutive points to escape, 26-24.
The fourth set featured wild point swings started from Inka Inkret serving the Golden Eagles to a 5-2 edge getting four-straight points, but a 6-2 push by the Mastodons saw the lead evaporate. ORU recovered getting four of five points capped by LaCour on an extended rally taking a 14-10 lead. It was all Purdue Fort Wayne to the finish posting a late run to close out the tournament win.
Inside the Box Score
- Madison paced the Golden Eagles totaling 13 kills and added eight digs as the senior ends her ORU career with 990 kills.
- Bri Greenlee hit at a .350 clip for the match registering 12 kills on 20 swings earning a spot on the Summit League All-Tournament Team.
- LaCour posted four kills in each of the first two sets with only one error on 10 swings aiding the ORU offense. The freshman finished with 11 kills reaching double digits for the second-straight outing.
- Sylvia Lawson recorded 45 set assists, seven digs and two block assists.
- Thiessen closed with a team-leading 13 digs, while Katarina Mikulic added 10.
- Greenlee, LaCour and Mikulic each ended the night with three total blocks to lead the Golden Eagles defensively.
For the latest information on ORU Volleyball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.